Friday, January 23, 2009

The Inaugural

Welcome to my blog. If you want to read and discuss Big Ten basketball, then you've come to the right place.

You may be asking yourself, "What's the deal with the title?" Well, as some of you basketball aficionados may know, Jim Burr is a referee who regularly officiates Big Ten basketball (he's the one who looks like he should be in a retirement home rather than on a basketball court). While over winter break, Burr was officiating the Iowa v. Minnesota game inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Now, obviously the game can't be blamed on officiating because Iowa went over ten minutes without getting a field goal, but to keep the language PG, let me just say I didn't agree with the majority of his calls.

I called my dad after the game to gripe about Burr, and after a lengthy conversation, he got me to believe that if there is bad basketball being played, Jim Burr probably is working it. Thus, he provided me with the inspiration I needed for this blog. Don't get me wrong. This will be the only time you ever hear me complain about Burr. I've got no hard feelings towards the guy, and for the most part, he's an excellent referee... just as long as he doesn't call Iowa games!

First, I'll give you a little bit of background on myself. My name is Brad Rudner, and I'm a 22-year old senior at the University of Iowa. I'm from Schaumburg, IL, a suburb of Chicago with a population over 75,000. I'm a journalism and mass communucation and communication studies double-major and will graduate this summer (May/June '09). For the last two-plus years, I have interned inside the Iowa Sports Information Department, serving as the primary media contact for Iowa's women's soccer team and women's gymnastics team.

The Big Ten is in my blood. My dad, Mark, has worked at the Big Ten Conference for close to 30 years and currently serves as one of the associate commisioners. He graduated from Ohio State, my mom from Purdue and my younger brother is a freshman at Illinois. I've been to seven of the Big Ten's eleven campuses and have had the privilege of meeting some legendary Big Ten figures.

The purpose of this blog is to discuss all things related to Big Ten basketball. I'll make predictions on games at the beginning and end of each week and give my insight on the stories that are worth talking about. In March, I will be volunteering at the Big Ten Tournament in Indianapolis and hope to provide good coverage of this magnificent event. SIDE NOTE: This year's tournament is anybody's tournament to win, except Indiana. It could be the best one the Big Ten has seen in a decade, at least on paper, anyway.

So sit back, relax, and come back often. The season is at its midway point, but the best is still yet to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment